How To Earn Scout Chef Activity Badge
To earn a Scout Chef Activity Badge these are the steps that are required.
- Plan a menu for a weekend event for between four and six people.
- Include the quantities you’ll need and any dietary needs of the group for cultural, religious or medical reasons.
- Show how and where to shop for the food and the best way to transport it.
- Show how to store food properly, hygienically and in ways that prevent food poisoning.
- Explain what you might need to consider if you’re using an indoor kitchen or a camp kitchen.
- Cook and serve at least one of the meals from your menu. The meal must be at least two courses and can be prepared on an open fire on
camp or in a kitchen.
- Demonstrate the best way to clear up afterwards. Clearing up should include washing up utensils, pots and pans, disposing of rubbish and leftover food in a way that prevents vermin or disease.
You can gain the Chef badge twice, once by completing the steps using an indoor kitchen and once for outdoors.
How to Earn Scout Survival Skills Activity Badge
To earn a Scout Chef Activity Badge these are the skills that are required.
- basic knife or multi-tool skills, including safety and sharpening
- first aid treatment you may need to use while on a survival event, considering you may have limited resources available
- how to construct different kinds of shelter
- how to build a fire and use basic lighting techniques. You should not use man-made materials such as paper or firelighters.
- the various burning qualities of different woods
- how to maintain hygiene in a survival situation
- the correct use of international distress signals, using a whistle, torch, mirror or markers
- some basic actions to take while waiting rescue that will both keep you (and your group) safe and will assist your rescuers in locating you.
- Put together a personal survival kit.
- With a group of at least three Scouts, take part in a survival exercise. It should last about 24 hours and the group should:
- construct a shelter of natural or salvaged materials and sleep in it
- prepare a meal using raw ingredients that could have been found or caught
- cook all meals over an open fire
- cook without utensils, although you may use a knife.
For further guidance use these handy free scout activity sheets